Thursday, March 8, 2012

Eight is Enough

Well...not really. Willow is 8 months now, and I can hardly believe it! It is so surreal that she's been with us for nearly a year. I cannot truly fathom that she will be 1 in only four months. That just blows my mind! As tradition requires, here is a little update on where she is developmentally.


She's much more engaged in her little activities. She enjoys crawling around the house, cruising along furniture/cupboards/walls, exploring little nooks and crannies in each room, and getting into a little bit of trouble. She races for the bathroom if she notices that the door was left open. She tries to climb on top of the couch (it's a little pathetic to watch her get on tip toes and try to get a knee on the couch to hoist herself up). She goes straight for the electronics, outlets, and various cords lying about. She pulls herself up on the water cooler (not safe at all--gives me a heart attack). She picks up every crumb and string on the floor and tries to eat it. She thinks the trash can in her room is a drum. She thinks her toothpaste tastes foul. She loves the sight of her bathtub. She hates getting dressed (especially onsies). She despises getting bundled up, but is interested in being outdoors.

Now, at eight months, Willow is more engaged in watching television, reading books, and interacting with family over skype. She understands cues for things, like the sound our iPad makes when it is making a call.


Today, she clapped her hands together for my Chinese teacher and said, "Yay!". It was so clear, and undeniable. I guess she's picking up more and more about her world every day.

She is much better at picking up small pieces of finger food and placing them in her mouth, although she still can be a little clumsy. Some new foods she has tried include: noodles; cheese; chicken; potatoes; carrots; toast; egg yolk; and bananas. She loves to eat finger food and could do so all day long. It is a relief to find food that she will eat (finally). Willow is finally able to use a sippy cup, which feels like a small victory for me.

Sometimes Willow waves hello or goodbye when we ask her too. Sometimes she gives me a kiss if I ask her to. She doesn't like to kiss her daddy though. I think it has something to do with his scratchy face.


She likes to play with toys that make noise or have interesting features. She likes to hit toys together to make loud noises. She likes to beat up on her dolly and give it kisses. She likes to play in her crib after she wakes up. The other day, I walked in to find that she had somehow reached the wipes container and figured out how to open the box. She then removed about one hundred wipes and had been chewing on them/playing with them in her crib. Her pants were even wet from her wipey adventure. I should have been a little worried or irritated, but I just had to laugh because she actually looked a bit guilty.

Taking two naps every day. Sleeps about 12 hours a night (7pm-7am), give or take some time. Willow still wakes up 1-2 times every night which is slightly annoying. I keep reminding myself that it could be worse, and it's normal at her age (for being a breast fed baby).


She is a FAST crawler. This must be normal, since she's been crawling for two months. It's hard to keep up with her. When we're at home, she keeps me moving all day long. In this active phase, we're both thinning out. I've noticed Willow's rolls are quite as impressive as they once were. Likewise, I'm lighter now than I was before I got pregnant, most likely because of the regimen Willow has prescribed (no breaks, not a lot of time for eating, breast feeding). I tried to wear some dress pants today, but none of them will fit me anymore. I don't want to complain, but I am in need of some clothes that actually fit.

Well, that's a little update on how Willow's doing for anyone who is interested (and for me to look back on when she's all grown up).




It amazes me that I have this unbelievable tall baby (she's half my height already). She might be interested in growing up and becoming more independent--but I'm holding onto these baby days. I'm so thankful that I can stay home with her most of the time and cherish these moments. I really have enjoyed most aspect about every stage she's gone through so far. I look forward to watching her grow up! Lately, I've been saddened by the thought of weaning Willow. Breastfeeding has been an amazing experience, albeit difficult in the beginning--I will be sad to not have this daily time of bonding with my baby. I just can't believe that she's 8 months!

We are so unbelievably blessed by this little girl!

~julie

No comments:

Post a Comment