Monday, October 29, 2012

Casting a Play

This is the 4th time around, and I'm still not quite sure how to do it. The feeling I have right now is the age-old 'butterflies in my stomach'. It's like standing on the edge of a cliff and not knowing how high it is or what's at the bottom...and then jumping. Not because you necessarily want to, but because you've realized that's the only way down.

Auditions start tomorrow. A few students are auditioning early since they'll be out of town during the actual audition dates. And since we're a small school, making these sorts of compromises is common and...survivalist.

This year, there are no ideas in my head, going into auditions. I have absolutely no idea who is going to be in the play, who would be good for which part, who will be cut...No idea!

I'm going to rely on a lot of prayer this week, because I have no idea how I'm going to make these decisions by myself. I'm strongly doubting whether or not I'll be able to do it on my own. For another analogy: it's like learning how to tight rope when you're 4 years old, and then never doing it again until your 40 years old. And then you're expected to tight rope across Niagara Falls.

At least for right now, I'm just hoping that the 'right' kids audition. That's why I'm truly nervous. Because if you don't have the appropriate level of talent or the best mix of attitudes and personalities...it's a lot harder than you could imagine to direct a show.

And since I'm by myself this year....I'm just crossing my fingers.

No comments:

Post a Comment