Saturday, December 4, 2010

Pilgrim Pocket Books

Welcome to my first attempt at Pocket Books. There is not a doubt, they are a lot of work. First off, you have to actually make the books out of large pieces of construction paper. Then you have to make a bajillion copies and show students how to cut, paste, and color. You have to glean the information that is crammed onto each document, and slowly fill up the pockets. We probably spend 7 hours on the Pilgrim Pocket Book--and learned a lot since it added so much to our curriculum--but we only actually finished half of the pocket book material. I have another one for pioneers, and another for Native Americans. I missed the chance to create the pioneer pocket books because I forgot I had bought this resource--but we will definitely do the Native American pocket book since our social studies book is so bland.


Here's a look at some of the information inside. There really was so much. I was surprised how much about Pilgrims, Wampanoags, and Plymouth I did not know, even after studying and reading about much in my own education, and teaching it last year.




There are lots of little information books about topics. Here you can see three: Building a Village; The Family; and Going to School. Did you know that pilgrim children who interrupted in school had to sit with a stick in their mouth as punishment? My kids thought that was pretty graphic, especially since I'm always reminding them NOT to interrupt. It was shocking to them that interrupting was punished so harshly! Interrupting shows lack of self-control, so I guess that's why they disciplined interrupters.


~julie

No comments:

Post a Comment